Monday, January 26, 2009

Day One!

Day one is almost half completed. As we can all tell I made out to my host family without too much trouble. I did however get lost this morning. Kind of a funny thing too. I wrote the right address down for dcs, but when I programmed it into my gps, I must not have been paying attention and put kingsley drive instead of kingsway drive. Gee, only two letters were wrong, but it took me to the other side of keystone. Which is a major road that connects my host family to dcs. I panicked of course, called information because I freaked and when they confirmed the address and I saw that I had put it in wrong in the gps, I allowed myself some relief. So that's by far the most nerve-wrenching event of the day. I beat my mentor here, she was running behind so I was able to calm myself down before she showed up. Yay! I also have already had my first hands up assignment. Ok, so it wasn't like a real paid assignment that they would send me on, but it was an informal meeting between a deaf staff member for dcs and another department representative. I told my mentor that I wanted to work on staying in interpreter mode while interpreting one-on-one settings, and she quickly put me in a situation to experience. My host family is great and I really like them. They have really opened their home up to me and really made me feel welcome. So even though I was nervous and scared just yesterday, I am feeling much calmer and welcomed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment