Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tattle-tell!

Ok, I admit it, I tattled. I just got so darn frustrated. I am getting all kinds of mixed answers from my mentor. I really debated calling Julie today. I actually got ready to call her twice and then changed my mind. But I am glad I did it. I have only done 2.5 hours of interpreting-actual hands in the air. Yet I have done tons of observation, mentor feedback-which is wierd since the feedback is not based on my interpreting but on issues in the field and stuff like that, I even got a jump of my professional development. My mentor hurt my feelings yesterday when I was observing her interpret a meeting. Now granted, there were doctors and professionals there, and yes big giant words were used and acronyms that I was unfamiliar with. But when I asked her if she thought I could interpret for some of the meeting, she told me that she didn't believe that I could interpret it. It probably would be really difficult for me, but it really hurt my feelings. I also am pretty frustrated that she hasn't really watched me interpret either, so how is she to evaluate my skills? The only people who are able to evaluate me are both deaf and sure they can, but they don't hear my voicing at all. So, I told on her. I got tired of it. I want to make sure that I am successful on this internship and don't want to fail. I am praying things improve. Julie said they will and I am sure that they are supposed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment